Help & Support
Our professional team is ready to help you custom your day
Large Range of Boats & YachtsEvery boat for every occasion
Easy BookingMake your reservation today
Join the CommunityFree gifts for our followers
Frequently Asked QuestionsPut your mind at ease.
We hire our boats every day of the week
We try our absolute best to ensure our clients have a seamless experience when renting a vessel on Sydney Harbour and we understand things become a little too confusing. As a result, we have placed some frequently asked questions to hopefully answer some of your questions.
If none of the information provided answers to your questions, please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we will be sure to guide you.
Self Drive Boat Hire FAQ
Where do we pick up from?
Is there parking there?
What if we have children?
How much is the bond?
What is the minimum age to operate the vessels?
What is your wet weather policy?
(A) Winds exceeding 40km/hr
(B) Rain exceeding 15mm
Where can we operate the boat?
On the day of your hire, you will be supplied with a map.
What are the Terms and Conditions?
- (A) Vessels only to operated between sunrise and sunset (B) Vessels only to be operated in areas specified in the operations manual (Meadowbanks to Georges Head) Vessels must be controlled at all times by the holder of a current, valid boat license or as the listed driver for vessels that do not require a license. All other state marine licensing rules apply. (D) The hirer is the holder of a current motor drivers license (E) The following safety conditions apply at all times that the vessel is in use; (a) A life jacket of Australian standards association must be available for each person on board the vessel. Suitable PDFs (lifejackets) are provided for all passengers i.e adult, juvenile, child. (recommended for children under 12 years at all times). (b) An adequate and approved extinguisher must be on board when vessel is in use. (c) An anchor and sufficient line, bucket with lanyard, flares, torch, secondary sounding device is to be carried on board at all times (F) The vessel is to be used and navigated so as to comply with the requirements of the NSW Maritime (G) The hirer has been given clear and concise instructions on: (a) Correct and safe handling and navigation of the vessel (b) Correct and safe operation of machinery & fuel system (c) Stowage and use of life-saving appliances (d) Location and use of the fire extinguisher (e) Limits of operation. (H) The hirer when signing this document acknowledges he/she has read the above conditions and is conversant with the terms thereof and fully understands the effect on them.
- The hirer will: A) Pay all charges as set out overleaf together with all other charges, which may be levied or made pursuant to the conditions hereof. B) Not drive the vessel whilst under the influence of liquor or drugs, or with a blood alcohol content in excess of any statutory limit. Permissible concentration of alcohol for drivers of recreational vessels is less than 0.05. Random breath testing can be conducted on drivers, penalties range from $1100 for a first offence in the low range to $5,500 and up to 2 years imprisonment. C) The hirer will NOT allow any other person to control the vessel unless listed on the booking form & is responsible for all occupants and their actions. D) Report any accident to the nearest police station and the owner forthwith. E) Not have the vessel repaired except with the express permission and consent of the owner and the owner shall be at liberty to direct any particular person to make such repairs or to do such repairs provided that the owner shall not incur any liability in respect of such repairing. F) Not operate the vessel outside the designated areas or areas advised by the operator on the day of the hire.
- (A) Accidental damage insurance only covers the loss and damage to the vessel during the period of hire and does not cover the loss or damage: i) To personal items ii) Due to negligence or criminal action by the hirer; iii) Resulting from overloading, speeding, overheating, seizure or misuse of the vessel iv) When the vessel is overdue for return; v) Arising from more than one accident or event vi) If at any time the driver of the vessel is not the authorised person under this hire contract. (B) Accident damage does not cover the first $1,000 of damage, which will be the hirer’s responsibility. A security bond will be required prior to departure. The bond will be refunded so long as no damage occurred to the boat during the hire period. Where damages occur charges of up to $1000 may be debited from the credit card provided, where damages are covered by insurance. (C) The hirer agrees to pay the owner the cost of repair; replacement of any loss or damage howsoever caused which is not covered by insurance due to any breach by the hirer or any other caused whatsoever. (D) The owner shall not be responsible for any fines incurred or any breaches of marine regulations in respect to the vessel whilst under control or custody of the hirer or during the continuance of the term of the hire. (E) The hirer acknowledges and accepts the that the use and operation of the vessel, included for the purposes of water skiing, swimming, towing a tube and other such like activities, is subject to inherent risks and dangers. The Hirer accepts those risks and agrees to indemnify the Owner of the vessel, Sydney Boat Hire for any losses suffered by the Hirer, any passengers or any third parties as a result of the materialisation of those risks and dangers, The Hirer also undertakes to advise all passengers of the risks and dangers associated with the use and operation of the vessel prior to boarding. The hirer acknowledges and understands all safety material and briefings that have been presented.
- The owner hereby expressly negatives all warranties conditions or
representations expressed or implied in respect of the fitness, quality or state of repair of the vessel hired and is under no liability in this respect whether for negligence or otherwise.
- Should the hired vessel not be returned within the time stipulated then a charge equivalent to a single day hire, or part thereof shall be charged until the vessel is returned. If the hirer is unable to be made contact with, it will be deemed the hirer to have lost/ stolen the vessel and Sydney Boat Hire will take steps to regain possession, including police action.
- In the event of the vessel breaking down, the onset of poor weather conditions the hirer shall notify the owner to arrange the immediate return of the vessel. The period of the hire shall be determined upon the return of the vessel. In no event shall the owner be responsible for any costs / loss incurred by the hirer.
- If poor weather conditions are present before the hire proceeds a transfer in reservation will be granted, however we do not grant such a transfer for rain alone. Whether deemed not safe includes either of the following: (A) Winds exceeding 40km/hr (B) Rain exceeding 10mm (C) Fog
- (a) A cancellation or postponement of hire between 30 to 15 days from the hire date will result in a 50% refund. (b) A cancellation or postponement within 15 days of the hire date will result in a no refund.
- A cleaning fee of $100 will be charged if the vessel is returned uncleaned / dirty.
- (a) If the hirer does not arrive to Fivedock Bay Boat Ramp within 20 minutes of their safety and operations briefing, Sydney Boat Hire reserves the right to withdraw from booking until time is free to continue. (b) In the event of “no show”, no refund will be granted. (c) No time will be granted for late departures due to late arrivals of customer.
- I understand and acknowledge that Charge of 50% of the hourly rate will be processed every 15 minutes the vessel is beyond it’s due return time listed below.
Private Charter FAQ
How do I proceed?
How Do I Find the Right Boat?
- What is the occasion? Is it a cocktail event, casual buffet or formal dining?
- How many guests will be attending?
- What is my budget?
Once outlining these key points, you will be able to find a boat within your needs. Using our filter tab, you will be able to find the right option quickly. Otherwise, contact our team as we can always find the best options for you.
The majority of charter vessels listed on our site offer an onboard menu supplied by the vessels caterers. This ranges from BBQ options, Platters, Canapes, Buffet options, and formal dining options. Some vessels are strictly supplied catering only, others allow the client to bring their own food. This is easily identified in the price guide on each vessel listing.
Generally, vessels do allow guests to bring their own food on board, however, a sufficient amount of food must be on board to cater to all guests. When alcohol is consumed, it is strictly required to meet RSA guidelines.
Cancellation between 60 to 28 days prior to the charter incur no refund for the deposit paid.
Cancellation within 28 days prior to the charter will ensure no refund for the total monies paid.