RESPECTING YOUR PRIVACY
This policy outlines our personal information management practices. Specifically:
- The kinds of personal information we collect and hold;
- How we collect and hold it;
- The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose it;
- Your right to access and seek correction of it;
- How you may complain about privacy matters; and
- Our sharing of your personal information overseas.
There are some matters to which this policy does not apply. These are referred to below (see clause 9 below).
WHAT KINDS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND HOLD?
The personal information we collect and hold is what is reasonably necessary for our business functions and activities. When we collect and hold personal information, it is of the following kinds:
- Your personal details such as your name, addresses, telephone numbers, age and gender;
- Your customer reference number or loyalty card number;
- What, how and when you buy from us or have expressed an interest in buying from us;
- Your stated or likely preferences, for example whether you may be interested in particular products or promotions.
Some of our services require us to collect health information from you, for example our optical or insurance services. We also collect health information from you for the purpose of determining any public liability issues involving you. This information is only used to provide you with those services or to manage such issues.
Depending on the nature of your dealings with us, we may collect and hold other types of personal information. For example, information collected and held via our secure financial systems about the debit or credit card you might use for your purchases from us.
You generally have the option of not identifying yourself or of using a pseudonym when dealing with us. But not where this is impractical (for example when you create a boat booking with us) or where the law or a court order provides otherwise.
HOW DO WE COLLECT AND HOLD PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Collection of personal information: When we collect personal information about you, we do so by making a record of it. We do this when:
- You call us over the telephone to make a booking on any of our services;
- You communicate with us online;
- You take part in our promotions, competitions, testimonials, surveys and focus groups;
- You deal with us in other ways involving a need for personal information to be provided such as when you make a lay-by, contact one of our call centres or bring a claim against us.
We may also collect personal information about you by accessing data from other sources and then analysing that data together with the information we already hold about you in order to learn more about your likely preferences and interests.
When you visit our websites, social media pages or mobile applications or click on our advertisements on the online media of other companies, we may collect information about you using technology which is not apparent to you, for example “cookies”. For information about our use of this technology.
Most of the personal information we collect and hold about you is from your direct dealings with us. We may sometimes collect your personal information other than from you directly. For example from other suppliers who, in common with us, have a relationship with you.
Holding of personal information: Personal information we hold is generally stored in computer systems. These may be operated by us or by our service providers. In all cases, we have rigorous information security requirements aimed at eliminating risks of unauthorised access to, and loss, misuse or wrongful alteration of, personal information.
WHY DO WE COLLECT, HOLD, USE AND DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
When we collect, hold and use your personal information, we do so primarily to sell and promote our goods and services to you and to improve on the range of our offerings. For example:
- To learn of your likely preferences so that we may promote our goods and services to you in a way which may be of most interest to you; and
- To assist in investigating your complaints and enquiries.
- We disclose personal information we collect for purposes which are incidental to the sale and promotion of our goods and services to you. For example, we may disclose your personal information within our group, to service providers who assist us in our day-to-day business operations and as part of buying or selling businesses.
We may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for other purposes which are within reasonable expectations or where permitted by law.
When marketing to you, your personal information is only ever used or disclosed for Timber & Building Supplies’ own purposes. You may opt out of our direct marketing to you. Our direct marketing materials will tell you how to do this.
We may de-identify your personal information. We may do this for use and disclosure of the anonymous data to determine preferences and shopping patterns.